Last Updated: 02 May 2021
North East Schools of Traditional Taekwon-do (“we”, “us,” “our,” “NEST”, “NEST Taekwon-do”, and “National Educational Schools of Traditional Taekwon-do”) is a martial arts school offering teaching in Traditional Taekwon-do (“Services”), operated by Mr Christopher Black and headquartered in Redcar, Redcar and Cleveland, United Kingdom.
“Assistant Instructor,” “Instructor,” “Master”, and “Grandmaster” is a person who is qualified and approved to deliver our Services to Students.
“Consumer”, “Member”, and “Student” is a person who uses, or is registered to use, the Services we provide. This includes persons who actively use, or have previously used, our Services.
“Contract” means the legally binding agreement between you and us for the supply of Services.
“EEA” is the European Economic Area, of which the United Kingdom is a member of.
“Helper”, and “Volunteer” is a person who has been designated and approved to assist in the delivery of our Services.
“Personal Information” means any information which could identify, or be used to identify, a Student. Examples of Personal Information include, but are not limited to, first and last name, address, date of birth, or email address.
“Registration” and “Sign Up” refer to the means by which we collect information to facilitate delivery of our Services to a Student, potential Student, or depending on context, a parent or carer of a Student.
“Services”, “Membership”, and “Goods” is the Service we provide to you. This includes provision of training, goods, or additional aspects as outlined in this document.
“Visitor” means any person who visits any of our website(s) or application(s), or who opts-in to online services such as our communication platform.
“You” and “Your” means either a Student, Visitor, or depending on context, a Parent.
“Automated Payment System” means the payment system we currently use to process fees and transactions, currently we use GoCardless for this.
Our appointed data controller is Mr Christopher Black, and is responsible for storing and processing data in a fair, lawful, secure, and transparent way.
If you have any questions, or have a concern about your privacy, this policy, our terms and conditions, or how we handle data, please use our Website’s contact form, which is available at www.nest-tkd.com/contact. Or alternatively email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This section applies to the Personal Information we may collect and process from a Student, through the provision of our Services. In this section, “You” and “Your” refer to Students, potential Students, and depending on context, a parent or carer of a Student or potential Student
The Personal Information we may collect falls into the following categories:
- Information you provide to us: while engaging with our Services, you may be asked to provide Personal Information about you, or depending on context, your child. Personal Information is collected during our registration process using a physical or digital form. Information collected includes first name, surname, address, phone, email, and date of birth. Parent / carer first name, surname, address, phone, and email. Disability and additional support information, medical information. Emergency contact name and phone.
- Lawful basis for data collection: we require this Personal Information to administrate and manage your membership to the Services we provide. Our lawful basis for processing this information is that that we have a contractual obligation to you as a Student to provide the Services you are registering for, and to safeguard all Students who use our Services.
- Use of Personal Information: we may use the Personal Information we collect through our Services for a range of reasons, which include:
- To bill and collect money owed to us by You, for Services, license renewals, or outstanding fees.
- To send important information to you.
- To communicate with you about use of our Services.
- To enforce compliance with applicable laws, and to protect the rights and safeguarding of our Students and third parties, as well as our Instructor and Helper’s safety.
- To meet legal requirements and requests, including complying with court orders, public authorities, and appropriate legal authorities.
- To provide Personal Information to our instructors to facilitate the delivery of Services.
- Other purposes. To carry out other legitimate purposes, as well as lawful purposes, about which we will notify you.
- Cookies and Tracking Technologies: we and our partners may use various technologies to collect and store information when you use our Website(s) or Services. This may include using cookies and similar tracking technologies on our Website(s) and third parties, such as Google Analytics, Google Services, Jetpack, WordPress.com, MailChimp, GoCardless, our website’s Contact Forms. These may track certain behaviour for statistical usage, such as logging your visit, the pages you view, the browser and/or operating system you use, your referring URL, your country, and other similar details. Additionally, when using our Website(s) contact forms, the provided information will be sent via email directly to an Instructor. We may use this information to measure the performance of our marketing campaigns, and to provide analytics information to enhance the effectiveness of our Website(s) and Services.
- Data Protection Rights: You have the following data protection rights for your Personal Information.
- To access, update, or request deletion of Personal Information. We have taken reasonable steps to ensure that the data we collect is reliable for its intended use, and is accurate, complete, and up to date. As a Student, or depending on context a Parent, you can manage your information by contacting us directly in writing or via email.
- Individuals who are residents of the EEA can object to the processing of, ask to restrict the processing of, or request portability of their Personal Information. You can exercise these rights by contacting us directly in writing or via email.
- If Personal Information is collected or processed with consent, you may withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawal can be done at any time by contacting us directly in writing or via email.
- The right to complain to a data protection authority about the collection and use of Personal Information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. The United Kingdom’s data authority is the Information Commissioner’s Office (https://ico.org.uk).
- United Kingdom Taekwon-do Association (UKTA): is the governing body which our Services and Instructors are registered with. When you use or renew our Services, we are required to share your Personal Information with the UKTA. This ensures that the Student has relevant licensing and personal insurance, which is required to practice Taekwon-do martial arts in the United Kingdom. The UKTA may use your Personal Information for licensing, personal insurance, event participation, seminars, training courses, and gradings. Sharing your information with the UKTA requires that you opt-in when signing up to our Services. As licensing and personal insurance is a legal requirement, opting out of this sharing may affect our ability to offer you Services. UKTA data policies are available at www.ukta.com.
- GoCardless is used as an Automated Payment System for our Services, opting into this means that we will share your name and email address with the service. We share this information to register your intent to setup an external account with this third-party payment system. GoCardless terms of service are available at https://gocardless.com/legal.
- MailChimp communication platform is used to keep Students informed of news, events, competitions, and any important class changes. During Registration, or via our Website, you may opt-in for us to share your name and email with MailChimp, which will add you to the email mailing list. This service is provided and managed by MailChimp, upon signing up to the service you will be provided with information on how to manage your account, including information on how to unsubscribe. To opt-out of this service, follow the instructions within the email you receive from us.
- Photography and Video is available for opt-in during the Registration process. When providing our Services, we may take photographs or videos of Students, these will be used to advertise or promote our Services. We may publish this information on our Website(s), and social platforms such as YouTube and Facebook, their respective policies are available at https://policies.google.com/privacy and https://www.facebook.com/privacy.
- Advertising partners: may be used to create printed and digital promotional, advertising, and news campaigns, for our Services. This may include the sharing of photographs, videos, and your name to third party printing, advertising, and news outlets. When using your Personal Information, or photographic / video material of you, we will always approach you for additional consent.
- Law enforcement, regulatory body, government agency, or court we may release your Personal Information where necessary if we believe (a) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (b) to exercise or defend our legal rights, or (c) to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
- British Taekwon-Do Council (BTC) is a national governing body for Taekwon-do in the United Kingdom and exists to ensure the safe and lawful delivery of Taekwon-do through our Services. This body ensures that adequate ethics, health and safety, risk assessments, safeguarding, insurance, and enhanced disclosure and barring service (DBS) checks exist. If a safeguarding issue, or health and safety violation occur, we have lawful precedence to approach the BTC for legal advice. This may include sharing your Personal Information with the BTC, in accordance with their safeguarding policies available at www.tkdcouncil.com/safeguarding. In some situations, this may result in your information being shared with relevant law enforcement or safeguarding organisations (such as the NSPCC or Police).
Persons who have opted into any of our services may opt-out at any time, requests can be made in writing or by email using the contact details provided in the “About Us” section. Please note that opting out may affect our ability to provide you with our Services. For our MailChimp communication platform, you may opt-out by following the instructions on the bottom of any email communication.
When opting out of our Services fully, or cancelling Services, a noticed period is required as detailed in our Terms and Conditions.
We take appropriate and reasonable measures to protect your Personal Information from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction.
- All physical information: are converted to digital format, physical documents are destroyed through appropriate shredding.
- Physical licenses and grading cards: licenses and grading cards are generated when registering your Personal Information with the UKTA. Licenses are to be held by the student, and should be present at gradings, events, and competitions, to be used as identification and progression logging. Grading cards will be held by your Instructor or the UKTA and will be presented at a Student’s grading. Grading cards will be kept in a secure location, within a locked container, and will only be transported for grading purposes. Transport of these documents will be performed by the data controller and approved persons; these will be kept in a lockable container during transport.
- Digital Information: will never be transferred, misused, or shared, with unauthorised persons. Only our appointed data controller, and approved persons have access to this information.
- Data Security: is always a priority and maintained, all Personal Information is secured using either AES (Advanced Encryption Standard), 256-bit key length, SHA1, or CBC (cipher block chaining). These encryptions are the strongest industry-standard protection currently available and were selected by the National Security Agency (NSA) for use as a standard for the US Government. Information is only accessible by approved persons, using secure encrypted passwords.
We retain Personal Information where we have ongoing Services or a legal need to do so. Students are required to renew their licensing information on an annual basis. If at renewal the Student is not actively using our Services or has not used our Services for a period of 12 months, the Student’s Personal Information will be destroyed in accordance with data protection regulations. At this point the Student’s grading card will be returned to the UKTA organisation for disposal, and the student will no longer have ongoing Services with us.
These Terms and Conditions apply to your purchase of Services from us, these are the terms on which we sell all Services to you. By agreeing to any of our Services, you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
- All Services are subject to availability
- We can make changes at any time to Services when it is necessary to comply with any applicable law or safety requirement. We will notify you of these changes.
- You must co-operate with us in all matters relating to our Services, provide us with all information required to facilitate Services, and obtain any necessary licenses and consents.
- The description of the Services and any Goods on our website, or other form of advertisement does not constitute a contractual offer to sell Services or Goods.
- We intend that these Terms and Conditions apply only to a Contract entered into by you as a Consumer where we, the Supplier and you the Customer, enter the Contract via digital or written consent, usually in the form of a Sign Up process.
- Any offers provide are subject to availability, we reserve the right to remove promotions for any reasons.
- Any offered family discounts are offered for up to 4 family members, beyond this we may not offer additional discount.
- The Fees for the Services, the price of any Goods or other relevant Services, is not fixed and may change. You will be given noticed of these changes at which time you may choose to end your Services with us.
- From time to time we may increase service costs for any reason. This will usually be in-line with inflation and costs of our venues increasing.
- Our Automated Payment System is a required opt-in when entering a Contract for our Services. We provide no alternate payment options for our Services or Membership and reserve the right to refuse provision of Services where this opt-in is refused.
- Where agreed upon we may request additional transactions to be processed through our Automated Payment System, such as payment for Goods (Equipment, Travel), additional Services (Gradings, Seminars, Competition Entry fees), or other fees. This will always be agreed upon with a Student before being requested by our Automated Payment System. Alternative may be made available for such payments but is at the discretion of our Instructors.
- UKTA Licenses must be renewed Annually, this fee will be applied to your Service fees Annually and processed through our Automated Payment System. We will give provide at least 14-days’ notice of this renewal fee. Where arranged with an Instructor, we may provide alternative payment options for this fee, provided that noticed is given and agreed upon by You and your Instructor.
- Our recurring Service fee is for membership to our Services, this entitles you to use of our Services. The Service fees are due approximately monthly (usually per 4-week billing cycle).
- If we cannot provide Services to you for any reason, for example availability, poor weather, or circumstances beyond our control (i.e. COVID), your membership will continue until you give us notice to cease Services. During this period Service fees will still be billed.
- Non-attendance is not grounds for Fees to be reduced or refunded. As our Services are provided as Membership these Fees are still payable.
- When entering a contract to use our Services, you will be required to purchase UKTA license, this entitles the Student to practice martial arts and provides free insurance through the BTC. This license must be renewed annually, payment for which will be requested via our Automated Payment System.
- We will refuse to train students who do not have a valid and in-date UKTA license, this is a requirement for all students.
- Services cannot be transferred, for example you may not transfer membership to another student.
- When Services have been established, we can reject, refuse, or cease Services for any reason, although we will try to tell you the reason without delay.
- You can terminate your contract with us at any time for any reason, provided that a minimum of 30-days’ notice is given. If Service fees are due in this period they will still be owed. Notice of termination must be given in writing.
- Upon ceasing your contract with us, after the 30-day period we will cancel your Services and our Automated Payment System will cease billing you.
- Upon serving the 30-day notice of cancellation, you may continue using our services during the notice period. Upon termination of your contract Services will cease.
- Disputes or complaints can be submitted to us in writing, using the contact information in the “Questions and Concerns” section.